Sunday, May 1, 2011

John Carpenter's "The Thing"

I finally got around to watching The Thing last night and I must say that I really enjoyed it. I love movies in general and I also love science fiction. Science fiction with a cult following, however, I truly enjoy. The stranger the better. My favorite cult Sci Fi movies are The Fly, Scanners, Black Hole, 2oo1 Space Odyssey and now I am adding the The Thing to my list. I also think Kurt Russell is brilliant in any of John Carpenter's films ..(and Overboard)

The special effects in The Thing are great even 30 years later. I read that the film's reception commercially was not a success, but film critics agreed that the effects were stomach churning in parts. People's faces stretch to inhuman dimensions, and all sorts of bloody mayhem ensues, while the members of the research crew stand around covered in the bleakness of Antarctic ice. I knew something was up when the "friendly" doggie was wandering around the camp and giving certain crew members stare downs. Actually, I knew something was wrong with the dog at the very beginning, but I don't want this post to a be a spoiler post.

1 comment:

  1. Haven't seen The Thing since the 80's, but my younger sister was a huge fan. I was reminded of it recently while watching Bravo's 100 best scary movie moments. I can't remember what number it was at, though...

    ReplyDelete